A quotation by Shawcross

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Reviso
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

A quotation by Shawcross

Postby Reviso » 1 decade 5 months ago (Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:11 pm)

Hello. I'm not a believer, but I'm puzzled by a quotation attributed to Hartley Shawcross :
"We ignored Hitler's pleadings not to enter into war. Now we are forced to realise that Hitler was right."
-British Attorney General, Sir Hartley Shawcross, Stourbridge, March 16th, 1984.

Where was it published ? Did Shawcross confirm it in his 1995 book "Life Sentence" ?

Thanks for the reply.

Reviso

Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hannover » 1 decade 5 months ago (Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:44 pm)

Shawcross's above statement was supposedly given in a speech in 1984. But it's contents is somewhat obvious in that it's well known that Hitler pleaded with Britain not to go to war and later pleaded with Britain not to engage in planned and intentional civilian terror bombings, which the British did initiate. Anyone can clearly see the result of WWII, the 'Allies' allowed the communists to control 1/2 of Europe for over 50 years. An admission and acknowledgement by the Allies of a huge mistake simply requires looking at the facts.

- Hannover
Last edited by Hannover on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it can't happen as alleged, then it didn't.

Reviso
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Reviso » 1 decade 5 months ago (Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:57 pm)

Hannover wrote:Shawcross's above statement was supposedly given in a speech in 1984. But it's somewhat irrelevant because it's well known that Hitler pleaded with Britain not to go to war and later not to engage in civilian bombings, which the British initiated. Anyone can clearly see the result of WWII, the 'Allies' allowed the communists to control 1/2 of Europe for over 50 years. Admission of a big mistake by the Allies simply requires looking at the facts.

- Hannover

Thanks for the reply. If I understand you good, you consider the quotation as dubious ("supposedly"). I would be cautious with such recantations (and deathbed stories)...

Reviso

Hannover
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Hannover » 1 decade 5 months ago (Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:33 pm)

Reviso:
Thanks for the reply. If I understand you good, you consider the quotation as dubious ("supposedly"). I would be cautious with such recantations (and deathbed stories)...

Your're welcome.

My reason for "supposedly" is that it is quoted frequently but I have never seen the text of the speech in any traditional publication, that doesn't mean it does not exist. A local newpaper where the speech was given may have carried the text. I haven't spend much time on it as I do not find the contents particularly unique.

Usually the meaning and implications of such quotes is what people want to debate. And as I have stated, finding support for it's content is easy. IOW, it follows that someone like Shawcross would eventually make such statements.

- Hannover
If it can't happen as alleged, then it didn't.

Lamprecht
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby Lamprecht » 1 decade 5 months ago (Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:22 pm)

Reviso wrote:Hello. I'm not a believer, but I'm puzzled by a quotation attributed to Hartley Shawcross :
"We ignored Hitler's pleadings not to enter into war. Now we are forced to realise that Hitler was right."
-British Attorney General, Sir Hartley Shawcross, Stourbridge, March 16th, 1984.

Where was it published ? Did Shawcross confirm it in his 1995 book "Life Sentence" ?

Thanks for the reply.

Reviso
This is the whole quote:
Step by step I have arrived at the conviction that the aims of Communism in Europe are sinister and fatal. At the Nuremberg Trials, I, together with my Russian colleague, condemned Nazi aggression and terror.
I believe now that Hitler and the German people did not want war. But we declared war on Germany, intent on destroying it, in accordance with our principle of balance of power, and we were encouraged by the 'Americans' around Roosevelt. We ignore Hitler's pleadings not to enter into war. Now we are forced to realise that Hitler was right. He offered us the co-operation of Germany; instead, since 1945, we have been facing the immense power of the Soviet Union. I feel ashamed and humiliated to see that the aims we accused Hitler of, are being relentlessly pursued now, only under a different label.
"There is a principal which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principal is contempt prior to investigation."
-- Herbert Spencer

Postby Moderator » 1 decade 5 months ago (Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:44 pm)

Lamprecht,
I believe Reviso wants a verifiable source for the quotation. Thanks.
M1
Only lies need to be shielded from debate, truth welcomes it.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”