This website needs some cosmetics- URGENTLY

Read and post various viewpoints or search our large archives.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Be sure to read the Rules/guidelines before you post!
Halo
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Halo » 1 decade 7 months ago (Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:15 pm)

The first pic (with the judge) is intended as forums header graphics.

The second pic (the yellow sign) is intended to become a link to the Codoh website, replacing this one:

No worries bout the dresden pic, regard everything to be in the recycle bin I posted so far ; )
---------------------------------------------------
I am currently working on a new link to the VHO website.

-----------------------------------------

Also I already "perfected" the yellow sign graphics (better perspective effect of the text, re-arranged certain elements, works much better). I like the "we have the facts and we vote for yes" typo. You not? I find it fresh and self confident... But I am no native speaker...

Sizing and scaling is a matter of seconds, doesnt need to be that big in the end...

Nothing is final, so this is a small spoiler so you get an idea and in order to get confirmation that it would find acceptance by the community- or not in the worst case.

Kind regards, Halo.

ASMarques
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby ASMarques » 1 decade 7 months ago (Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:15 pm)

1) I think it would be best to establish first a rectangular banner for the top of the page, one that would not take too much space, in order for the reader to immediately see a good portion of the writing below without having to scroll down too far. Then a new visual approach, perhaps taking even less vertical space for the four links to Zundel, Rudolf, CODOH and VHO. I think the best so far is the rectangular banner with the scales. However, I would pull the scales more into view and perhaps eliminate the sword altogether. The wording is good, but perhaps a little more color might bring the messages more in evidence.

2) On the minus side, I would put down such things as a reference to Martin Luther (we are supposed to be after the hard facts, not any new theological dogmas) and the square format of other designs.

3) In the introductory page, the large Dresden picture should go, and the reference to Article 19 of the UN Human Rights Charter, together with a reference to the crucial First Amendment to the US Constitution -- given the border-less nature of the electronic world, it is today very much an universal heritage and we're all entirely dependent of it -- should be expanded in its place, within some sort of striking but simple visual design. To illustrate the sort of approach I mean, I would point out to these designs by artist Scott Bieser on behalf of the Bill of Rights:

My opinion, according to my visual taste, for what it's worth.

Webmaster
Administration
Administration

Postby Webmaster » 1 decade 7 months ago (Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:02 pm)

What do you think about Halo's latest creation on the front page? :wink: I'll think it's good.

Webmaster

Last edited by Webmaster on Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Halo
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Halo » 1 decade 7 months ago (Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:02 pm)

I had something like this in mind:

Plain, serious, pleasing color set and easy to expand. Image sizes are debateable.

About dresden, I propose the following:

I make a ruin like this:
I´d crop the pic and add a shadow to make it fit seamlessly with the other graphics, pretty the same thing I did to the signs and the CODOH key- This is the kind of "corporate design" for the website.

And entitle with something like: "Wanna learn learn bout Dresden"?. The pic would then link to a thread within these forums where people can learn bout dresden.

I like that idea, its non intrusive and very professional I think.

ASMarques
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby ASMarques » 1 decade 7 months ago (Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:06 pm)

Also the slogan "WE HAVE THE FACTS", even if true, sounds a bit too prejudiced for an open debating forum. I would suggest something like "REVISION LEADS TO IMPROVED VISION" or "THE TRUTH MATTERS".

Halo
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Halo » 1 decade 7 months ago (Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:10 pm)

Actually I like that slogan a lot rofl. Its so full of confidence and barefaced...
How about sparing the "revisionism?" word?

Just: "We have the facts and we vote yes"
then the codoh logo

Would that be a compromise?

P.S.: For your entertainment, there are 2 spelling errors in my graphics :lol:

Solution:

d: ǝʇoɹʍ ı sɐ „ǝʇɐqǝp uǝdo uɐ ɹoɟ ǝǝʇʇıɯɯoɔ„ ʇou „ǝʇɐqǝp uǝdo ɹoɟ ǝǝʇʇıɯɯoɔ„ pɐǝɹ ʇsnɯ ʇı ˙˙˙sɔıɥdɐɹƃ ɹǝpɐǝɥ ǝɥʇ uı „uɐ„ pɹoʍ ǝɥʇ puɐ ƃuoɹʍ pǝןןǝds sı „sʇɔɐɟ„

Dont hurt yourself trying to read above sentence :P
Last edited by Halo on Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Webmaster
Administration
Administration

Postby Webmaster » 1 decade 7 months ago (Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:17 pm)

Halo wrote:I had something like this in mind:

Plain, serious, pleasing color set and easy to expand. Image sizes are debateable.

We are in progress to move over to PHPBB3 so I don’t want to mess around with these old templates. I’ll contact Halo and some others that have been posting here in the near future. :)

Webmaster

ASMarques
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby ASMarques » 1 decade 7 months ago (Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:22 pm)

Webmaster wrote:What do you think about Halo's latest creation on the front page? :wink: I'll think it's good.

Webmaster

I find it too large, in the sense of requiring too much vertical space.

Quoting Halo himself: "In general, I find there´s too much displayed before the actual forum´s sections are displayed. Is it possible to drag some stuff (like the counter, the newest posts or such (maybe even the dresden pic)) below the threads sections? Its a forums, so scrolling down 1 full screen to see the threads finally is a bit irritating..."

I think it's better to keep the upper stuff where it is (not after the sections, because people won't usually scroll till the end of the page), but in a somewhat less vertically imposing format.

Webmaster
Administration
Administration

Postby Webmaster » 1 decade 7 months ago (Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:30 pm)

ASMarques wrote:
Webmaster wrote:What do you think about Halo's latest creation on the front page? :wink: I'll think it's good.

Webmaster

Thanks for your input. If you have the time maybe you will suggest a new style for the forum? http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo/3.0/
One can always alter the style so it's suits our purpose.

Halo
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Halo » 1 decade 7 months ago (Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:32 pm)

Here´s a better version!

Its smaller in scale and better in quality (and its green :D ) I like the green version better, fits great with the yellow mindcrime sign...

Is there a filesize limit? this one is 140kb.
-------------------------

ASMarques
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby ASMarques » 1 decade 7 months ago (Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:38 pm)

Halo wrote:Actually I like that slogan a lot rofl. Its so full of confidence and barefaced...
How about sparing the "revisionism?" word?

Just: "We have the facts and we vote yes"
then the codoh logo

If you tell people, up front even before they enter the forum or read what's in there, that you know everything, and you even drop the "Revisionism" theme, then you're beginning to sound like Moses on his way down from Mount Sinai. Not recommended for what should after all be a debating forum, not a catechism course.

Would that be a compromise?

Well, I think it would compromise the welcoming tone one expects when entering a debating place.

P.S.: For your entertainment, there are 2 spelling errors in my graphics :lol:

Solution:

d: ǝʇoɹʍ ı sɐ „ǝʇɐqǝp uǝdo uɐ ɹoɟ ǝǝʇʇıɯɯoɔ„ ʇou „ǝʇɐqǝp uǝdo ɹoɟ ǝǝʇʇıɯɯoɔ„ pɐǝɹ ʇsnɯ ʇı ˙˙˙sɔıɥdɐɹƃ ɹǝpɐǝɥ ǝɥʇ uı „uɐ„ pɹoʍ ǝɥʇ puɐ ƃuoɹʍ pǝןןǝds sı „sʇɔɐɟ„

Dont hurt yourself trying to read above sentence :P

Yes, I'd seen the mistakes. Also, I find it easy to read your message above, since I've got a rotating screen. But I hope you're not suggesting to invert the entry page as well...:shock:

Webmaster
Administration
Administration

Postby Webmaster » 1 decade 7 months ago (Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:39 pm)

Halo wrote:Is there a filesize limit? this one is 140kb.
-------------------------

No, but the smaller, the better. The page should load fast.

Halo
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Halo » 1 decade 7 months ago (Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:46 pm)

Yeah agree. I would propose the following:

I continue to design stuff (Dresden, Zundel, Rudolf...) untill the site moved to Phbbb3.

Once we´re moved (or before depends how fast things happen) I send over all the graphics filesize optimized in different sizes (big, normal and small scalewise), so you can fiddle around what works best then.

I would also compile a .zip file and upload it too rapidshare (including the photoshopfiles), so that in future, in case Mossad finally finishes me off, the pics could still be modified by someone who has photoshop...

Halo
Valued contributor
Valued contributor

Postby Halo » 1 decade 7 months ago (Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:49 pm)

ASMarques wrote:Yes, I'd seen the mistakes. Also, I find it easy to read your message above, since I've got a rotating screen. But I hope you're not suggesting to invert the entry page as well...:shock:

Rofl I am jealous with my lousy 17" notebook over here lol.

About the text on the sign and the other aspects, I propose the following:

Once the forums has moved, we could make a thread where everyone can say his opinion. If the majority disagrees with something or the the webmaster makes a decision on wether to keep something or change something, things will immediately changed.

Its all in pretty early stages at the moment...

ASMarques
Valuable asset
Valuable asset

Postby ASMarques » 1 decade 7 months ago (Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:59 pm)

Webmaster wrote:
ASMarques wrote:

Webmaster

Thanks for your input. If you have the time maybe you will suggest a new style for the forum? http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo/3.0/
One can always alter the style so it's suits our purpose.

Personally I would go for a no-frills friendly one, such as the "prosilver" that appears by default on entering the page, or the "subsilver2", similar to the current "subsilver" I choose on my CODOH Forum viewing profile.

I suppose that can always be easily changed anyway. The symbolic devices one chooses for the site are more important, and I think they should be carefully considered.
Last edited by ASMarques on Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “'Holocaust' Debate / Controversies / Comments / News”